I bought a couple of wooden office chairs at a thrift store last year for $5. That’s for both. $2.50 each. So of course I could not pass them up. I got them home, moved them around the garage for a year and finally got to work on one. I know at one time I have a before picture, a sanded and possibly one other progress picture, but I have sense lost them. However, the other chair was in roughly the same condition, so it is here to give you some idea.
I started by disassembling the whole chair. Every piece I could take apart, I did. I sanded all the pieces which was the most time consuming since I have to take off layers of varnish and stain. I reassembled the chair, stained and finished with three coats of clear. With the metal parts, I degreased, scrubbed, reassembled and reoiled. The only thing about the chair is that the shaft wobbles a bit. I think there may be a wedge or something missing. Overall, I am very pleased with the way it turned out.